Attorney at Law
Andy Waldera practices in the areas of water, land use, environmental/natural resources, and agricultural law. He represents clients in judicial, administrative, and local government proceedings regarding water rights and land use matters under state and federal law, including under the Idaho Local Land Use Planning Act and the federal Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, and hazardous waste management and defense matters under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act.
- Agricultural Law
- Environmental and Natural Resources
- Real Estate and Land Use
- Water Law
Ratings and Recognition
- Chambers USA – Environmental Law (2015-19)
- Super Lawyers Environmental Law (2017)
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” Environmental Law (2012-16)
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law (2002), ENR Certificate
- B.S., Tufts University (1999), magna cum laude
- Idaho State and Federal Courts (2002)
- Oregon State Courts (2018)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (2019)
- “Water and Real Estate Development in Idaho,” Law Seminars International, October 2017
- “Cooperation on Drain Water Management,” Idaho Municipal Attorneys’ Summary Workshop, June 2017
- “Irrigation District Urbanization – Risk, Considerations and Management,” National Water Resources Association, August 2016
- “Lower Boise Phosphorous TMDL Collaboration with Agriculture,” Idaho Environmental Forum Annual Conference, August 2015
- “Irrigation Issues Facing Treasure Valley Irrigators,” 2014 Irrigation Conference, December 2014
- “Water Issues Impacting Agriculture and Other Natural Resource Users,” Idaho‑Eastern Oregon Seed Association, December 2014
- “Water Rights 101 and Due Diligence, The Legal Side of Agriculture,” Leadership Idaho Agriculture, February 2014
- “Sustaining Irrigation District Functions in an Urbanizing Landscape,” Irrigation Leader, July/August 2016
- “A Proposed Definition of ‘Waters of the United States’ Under the Clean Water Act,” Idaho Business Review, September 2014
- Black Canyon Irrigation Dist. v. State (In re SRBA Case No. 39576), 163 Idaho 144, 408 P.3d 899 (2018).
- United States v. Black Canyon Irrigation Dist. (In re SRBA Case No. 39576), 163 Idaho 54, 408 P.3d 52 (2017).
- A&B Irrigation Dist. v. State (In re SRBA), 157 Idaho 385, 336 P.3d 792 (2014).
- Magee v. Thompson Creek Mining Co., 152 Idaho 196, 268 P.3d 464 (2012).
- Zingiber Inv., Ltd. Liab. Co. v. Hagerman Highway Dist., 150 Idaho 675, 249 P.3d 868 (2011).
Professional and Civic Activities
- Director, Lower Boise Watershed Council (Agricultural Stakeholder Representative)
- Editorial Board of the Western Water Law and Policy Reporter (2004 to present)
- Idaho State Bar Water Law Section: Mr. Waldera is a former six term Chair of the Idaho State Bar Water Law Section
When he is not practicing law, Andy enjoys fishing and hiking with his wife (Sabrina) and children Sidney, Clayton and Cassidy. Any other free time is spent tinkering with fickle irrigation pipe, seals and sprinkler heads, combatting weeds, and mending fence.